Types of Camera Accessories:
there are various sets of accessories that is used n photography in any given occasion, In this unit you will learn about these different accessories in general. For example: Lens, shutter speed, tape/memory card, battery, microphone, ISO (Aperture) / Iris, White balance, quality format (PAL) / NTS format, tripod, flash/light, handle, chroma key/ green screen (especially for Amateurs and point and shoot camera men)
- Lens (types are): Wide Angle Lens – this is a lens that makes the image wider.
- Fisher lens: have a “dept of field” . The background is usually blurry but the image will be sharper. It is used to remove distractions of the viewer from the camera.
- Prime Lens: doesn’t zoom at all. You can only work on it sharpness.
Zoom Lens: it can zoom images. In videography the zoom camera lens is mostly used.
- Shutter Speed: Determines the clarity of the object/image. Use of lower speed for slow moving object and higher speed for fast moving object.
- Tape/Memory Card: tape is used best, and mostly in cinematography. When copying, Tape can only copy the same amount of hours used in recording it. While, memory cards can only take the next few minutes to copy everything from beginning to end.
- Battery: As practitioners of photography you don’t have to wait to be told about the importance of battery maintenance. You are always advised, I repeat, “you are always advised” to get enough battery for yourself when you want to shoot. Don’t allow you battery to die off by charging it, so that it can boost back and charge faster. Don’t manage battery with camera (I mean don’t be a miser when it comes to use of battery. This is different from battery management, which is what you need to master at the end of this course), Note: the way you use your battery may have your camera blow off i.e. battery can blow up a camera e.g black magic camera.
- Microphone: There are different types of microphone e.g. hand held microphone, lapel/ tye microphone, boom microphone, zoom microphone, etc.
A hand held microphone in the media is called hand held.
A lapel/tye microphone can be tied inside your tye, so place it very well
The boom microphone is used in film shoots. It is used to get the indoor sound. Lastly, the zoom type is used to collect sound. It can be connected to every other microphone but it has a in house. It is a ‘mixer versus microphone’ type
- ISO/Iris: 100, 1600, in Black magic, the highest is usually 800, DSLRA. The more light the more ISO, the lower the light, the lower the ISO. ISO brings light to the camera. Iris may use 150 ISO, but ISO will give 100. Iris can be used to brighten up or dim ISO light. For example, DSLRA is just like a camera, ISO is inside and the iris runs from 2 – 12/15.
- White Balance: This is a ‘Lazy Man Setting’ where you don’t want to do any setting yourself. When there are lot of population in a setting you use white balance. You also use white balance in different kind of cameras, everything will rhyme. If you are using manual, you have to set your profile picture but white balance is automatic.
- Quality Formatting (PAL not NTS): Most cameras are set on PAL. NTS is used with tape and big cameras. But, PAL uses memory card, it gives you a better size. PAL is wide, while NTS is chock.
- Format System: when you want to work with your camera you need to format the card (tape or memory card) – but only do that if you have successfully copied the previous work unto another card, or go get a new card to start your work – also be very careful to save it well after doing that. The overall reason for formatting your card is because of viruses and space purpose which is the more reason why you have to stick with the step given above.
- Camera Stands: the following are various types of stands suitable and used in photography
Tripod (types): 3 legs, Slide (…), Crane/GIP, Tracker Slide, Rig, Hands, etc.
Tripod is usually 3-legs. The slide is made of an iron. The crane is longer than a GIP (which can be controlled0.
The rig is the guide – it is hand gel. Slide length is shorter
Steady Crane is belted to the body waist. It has a guide too. It is like a tripod.
Mono-pod is a one leg stand.
The track – it length is longer than the Rig. It also has a guide.
- Profile picture is the opposite of white balance.
- Telephoto: this used by photographer or wide life, event, Aquaria camera men, used to blur an aspect of images.